multicultural
does not describe me fully
it is where to start



Monday, September 21, 2009

Below - A Short Story


"His vomit was the color of the sea--turbid gray with flecks of white. It emptied over the side just ahead of the wave arched high above us. To keep him from tumbling overboard, I grabbed a fistful of his shirt. With my other hand, I gripped the wheelhouse doorjamb. I might be left holding torn cloth when the wave hit. Or he could pull me down with him. I released some of his shirt. It billowed and flapped in the unlucky air swirling around us. He turned his head toward me, his face ashen with contrition. He had lied to us and realized I knew it. "

That's the first paragraph of one of my already published cruising short stories. You may read the rest of it at the following link:

http://judithmercadoshortstories.blogspot.com/2009/09/below.html

3 comments:

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

Excellent read Judith! (but I now need to take my seasickness pills!)

Kathryn Magendie said...

What a great opening - image is everything and that is one finely wrought image...I do want to read the rest!

Judith Mercado said...

Thanks, Ann and Kathryn. I'm glad that first paragraph worked. Now if I could do that with all my other fiction ....